Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Big Score


PULSE was the name of the house magazine for the late, lamented Tower Records. It was free to customers and filled with news and articles about the latest releases in CDs and home video. For nearly ten years, the last page of every issue featured work by a different cartoonist who had been assigned by editor Marc Weidenbaum to submit a strip having something (anything) to do with music. It was a great showcase for cartoonists, especially since it was printed in full-color.

At the time I was listening to a lot of movie soundtracks, particularly the cool, atmospheric soundtracks of thrillers and spy movies, which I found to be inspiring background music to play while I wrote. So that's what I did my strip "about," and fortunately Marc didn't think it was TOO obscure, although, in fact, it probably made sense to only a couple of dozen Pulse readers (maybe less). That was definitely a concern - and I remember being pleasantly surprised when I eventually got on the internet and found that there were actually quite a few people who liked these soundtracks as much as I did.

After "The Big Score" appeared, I thought about doing two more - one featuring Spaghetti Western soundtracks and one featuring music from horror movies, but I never got around to submitting those (maybe for the best, who knows?). For more information about Pulse and the cartoonists who did work for it, be sure to visit Marc's page about it here:

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised at how many of those film and scores I recognize. I guess I've been following your cinema groove.

    ReplyDelete